You know better than anyone else that a good surface can make a huge difference in the outcome of a creative shoot. We believe no prop or tool collection is complete without:
The chances are that you have a few of these, but not all. Allow this list to serve as your, “why didn’t I think of that before?” moment 💡
- For spring and summer, we recommend using satin. It offers beautiful reflective properties, and a silky texture.
- For a super summery vibe, grab some linen! It’s light, airy and *just* whimsical enough.
- For the colder months and holiday season, opt for velvet (for obvious reasons).
- Pro tip: check your local discounted fabric store - you’ll be amazed at what fun and funky fabrics you might find for a reasonable price.
- Pro tip: when color matching paint for your shoot, make sure to bring your physical color palette along with you, so you can see things side by side. It might seem easier to just bring a screenshot of your palette, but the color on your screen might end up looking different than your actual paint sample. If you have physical examples of the color(s) you’re matching, bring them with you!
Styling Tools + Tips
Consider this the “miscellaneous, but still super helpful” section of our list of tips and tools.
Pro tip: You can also try using thin metal wires in lieu of fishing line or dental floss. Those wires will give you the structure you need to shape and sculpt the direction of the product or prop, without dealing with any spinning.
Pro tip: If you have items that are a bit thinner and flimsier in nature that also need to stay in place, use museum putty or dental wax. We learned this one from Alexis and Max from Colors Collective ⭐
Ahhh, our favorite category. Then again, we’re a bit biased.
Well, what are you waiting for? You’ve got some prop shopping to do 🛒